Essentials of Macrobiotics
What does macrobiotics mean to you and your body's health?
Macrobiotics - A Way of Eating for the Modern World.
The Essentials Incorporated in preB (Prebiotics).
Macrobiotics is about food from the Earth. It is about a healthy way of eating, integrating physical, spiritual, and planetary health. It is based on the Eastern ideal of achieving harmony between yin and yang.
So what does macrobiotics mean to you and your body? While rooted in ancient tradition, the macrobiotic dietary approach is a remarkably modern way of eating, in a world depleted of healthy food. Consider the essentials of macrobiotics:
- Lots of spring water
- Low-fat, high fiber, vegetarian sources of food
- Fiber-rich whole grains, vegetables, beans, legumes, seeds, and nuts
- Temperate fruits
- Whole, brown rice in most meals
- Avoiding nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant)
- Principal foods whole-grain cereals (50-60% of all food)
- Vegetables (25-30% of all food)
- Soups, beans, and sea vegetables (10-20% of all food)
- Eat most of your protein from plant sources (less than 15% of all food)
- Food should be eaten in their season
- Pleasure foods should be eaten in limited amounts including party and snack foods, desserts, mild alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, sake), tempura, stews, pastries, and condiments, used occasionally for variety and enjoyment
- Non-reliance on meat and dairy foods
- A preference for low glycemic foods
While the above are the primary dietary concepts of macrobiotics, macrobiotics is much more. Please read the book Macrobiotic Diet for more on this intensely interesting subject, how it is informed by the concepts of achieving harmony between yin and yang, and how this can affect your spirituality.
The key point about macrobiotics is that all of the ingredients of preB (Prebiotics) were specifically chosen to comply with all macrobiotic's various tenants of health and wellness. The idea was to deliver in preB (Prebiotics) all that had been learned, taught, and practiced about macrobiotics in the last 60 years.
"Foods are the foundation for health and happiness, for social and planetary health."